Special Education Parent Advisory Committee Mission
We believe in the innate and immovable value of every student with unique needs and that disability itself is a natural part of the human experience. It is our mission, therefore, to offer our utmost toward promoting educational journeys for special education students that are wholesome, rewarding, and that will prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living.
" There is no more powerful advocate than a parent armed with information and options."
Rod Paige - Secretary of Education
Goals and Objectives
- Expect and promote the highest of ethical standards, professional behavior, and mutual respect between parents, educators, and service providers.
- Uphold the right of students to receive a free appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
- Advocate for appropriate services that attend to the unique needs of special education students.
- Work cooperatively with the District to develop and implement policy and procedure that protects and safe guards the confidential information and right to privacy for special education students and families.
- Advance equal partnership between parents, educators, and service providers.
- Work collaboratively with members of the Adelanto School District, service providers, parents, and our community to assist in the development of a fuller understanding of and consideration for the challenges, differences, and personal strengths of individuals with exceptional needs.
- Work collaboratively with the District to help students achieve at high academic levels. contribute to their community, identify individual interest, and reach personal goals.
- Serve as a resource and support network for parents of children with special needs and for those whose children have been referred for an initial assessment.
- Advocate in behalf of special education students to District Administrators.
- Improve communication between parents. staff, administrators, and school councils on special education issues.
- Create a constituency and presence in the District in order to effectively represent parents of children with special needs and to inspire networking among families.
- Advise the Adelanto School District and regional school committees/ districts on issues related to the education, health, and safety of special education students.
- Regularly participate with District Administration in the planning, development and evaluation of the District's special education programs, and offer recommendations that may ensue.
- In cooperation with the District Administration, provide annual training on the rights of students and their parents that are afforded to them by federal and state law.