Sexual Harassment Procedures & Policies
The Adelanto Elementary School District Board of Trustees is committed to providing equal opportunity for all individuals in education. District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination including discrimination against an individual or group based on race, color, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnic group identification, ethnicity, age, religion, marital or parental status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, or genetic information; the perception of one or more of such characteristics; or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
(Board Policy 0410)
DEFINITION OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT
Sexual harassment is defined as unwelcome advances, unwanted requests for sexual favors, or other unwanted verbal, visual, or physical conduct of sexual nature made against another person of the same or opposite sex in the educational setting, when made on the basis of sex or under any of the following conditions: (Education Code 212.5; 5 CCR 4916)
- Submission to the conduct is explicitly or implicitly made a term or condition of a student's academic status or progress.
- Submission to or rejection of the conduct by a student is used as the basis for academic decisions affecting the student.
- The conduct has the purpose or effect of having a negative impact on the student's academic performance or of creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive educational environment.
- Submission to or rejection of the conduct by the student is used as the basis for any decision affecting the student regarding benefits and services, honors, programs, or activities available at or through any district program or activity.
Examples of types of conduct which are prohibited in the district and which may constitute sexual harassment include, but are not limited to:
- Unwelcome leering, sexual flirtations, or propositions
- Unwelcome sexual slurs, epithets, threats, verbal abuse, derogatory comments, or sexually degrading descriptions
- Graphic verbal comments about an individual's body or overly personal conversation
- Sexual jokes, derogatory posters, notes, stories, cartoons, drawings, pictures, obscene gestures, or computer-generated images of a sexual nature
- Spreading sexual rumors
- Teasing or sexual remarks about students enrolled in a predominantly single-sex class
- Massaging, grabbing, fondling, stroking, or brushing the body
- Touching an individual's body or clothing in a sexual way
- Impeding or blocking movements or any physical interference with school activities when directed at an individual on the basis of sex
- Displaying sexually suggestive objects
- Sexual assault, sexual battery, or sexual coercion
The Governing Board is committed to maintaining a safe school environment that is free from harassment and discrimination. The Board prohibits sexual harassment of students at school or at school-sponsored or school-related activities. The Board also prohibits retaliatory behavior or action against any person who files a complaint, testifies, or otherwise participates in district complaint processes.
Information to Students
A copy of the District's written policy in the Parent Handbook on sexual harassment, as it pertains to students, shall be provided as part of any orientation program conducted for new students at the beginning of each quarter or semester. Procedures identifying the process for filing a sexual harassment complaint are available at school sites. See your school site principal or vice principal.
It is essential that the principal ensure confidentiality throughout the investigation of allegations of sexual harassment. The actual facts of the complaint and the sensitive nature of specific allegations may require special efforts to maintain confidentiality. The principal shall inform all parties of a sexual harassment investigation, including witnesses, not to discuss the matter with others and to refrain from any contact including personal, electronic, telephone, or written contact regarding the issue.
Personnel Sexual Harassment BP 4119.11 AR 5119.11, 4219.11, 4319.11
Nondiscrimination/Harassment BP 5145.3 AR 5145.3
Sexual Harassment- Students BP 5145.7 AR 5145.7
Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedure - School-Level Process (Student)
Procedures English Spanish